Protecting our landscape
Committed to a Cleaner Environment
Protecting the amazing landscape
Cahernane House are members of The Green Hospitality Programme which is the only Irish environmental certification standard for the hospitality sector. We are delighted to be part of the Killarney Hotels Sustainability Group which is a group of 22 hotels that are committed to reducing the environmental impact of our services and activities, increasing the well-being of our employees and promoting responsible governance in the way we run our business.
We are committed to the implementation of proactive measures to help protect and sustain the environment for future generations of our guests and employees, so far to minimize our carbon foot print we have put the below policies in place.
- Monitoring and improving our recycling in areas such as energy consumption & reduction of waste materials.
- The hotel has 3 x electric vehicle charging points onsite.
- The hotel’s ‘to go’ picnic bags and boxes are recyclable.
- The hotel has replaced single use plastic straws with biodegradable alternatives. Plastic drinking straws and cocktail stirrers are now made of metal and reusable.
- We are actively eliminating single-use plastic items from our hotel due to there detrimental effect on the environment.
- Paper usage within the hotel is continually monitored in our efforts to reduce and reuse.
- Executive Head Chef Eric Kavanagh and his culinary team source our food from local producers thereby reducing food miles and cutting down our carbon footprint. In so far as is possible, we purchase and support small artisan producers from the locality.
- We have a Herb Garden which our kitchen team nurtures and uses regularly
- Monitoring water usage and encouraging water conservation.
- Take away coffee cups and lids are now compostable.
- The hotel has LED lighting in the bedrooms and also in the bedroom corridors.
- We are in the process of changing over to leather and reusable drinks coasters.
- Our cleaning products are supplied by Ecolabwhich are chemical free cleaning products.
- Cardboard packaging, glass and used electronics are all returned or collected for recycling. We are committed to further reducing waste to landfill.
- Our team are active members of Killarney Tidy Towns, a voluntary community-based group that works to keep our town clean, tidy and sustainable.
- We no longer order guest newspapers due to Covid and this also helps cut down on further waste.
- We regularly communicate this this policy and relevant environmental control to employees, suppliers and guests.