If you’re planning a trip to Killarney, one of the highlights of your visit will be the fantastic food served in restaurants, cafes, hotels and bars across the city and county. Gone are the days of simple meat and potato dinners. Chefs are mixing tradition with modern methods, creating unique, amazing dishes using local ingredients As well as fine dining and eating out, take this opportunity to return to nature, learning more about how and where we grow our food. Enjoy a very special weekend foraging course in Killarney paired with a luxury stay in Cahernane Hotel Killarney for the best of both worlds this June.
Foraging Hotel Package
Stay in Cahernane House Hotel from 12-14th June when we will be hosting a very special foraging course with wild-food foraging guide Darach O Murchú. You’ll enjoy an action-packed two days of guided foraging and a seaweed workshop with Darach, an experienced forager who works in environmental, outdoor and nature education. Darach will explore the grounds of Cahernane House Hotel looking mainly at plant identification, uses, and harvesting. He will discuss habitat types, plant properties and practicalities of foraging, top tips, and more. We are delighted to welcome this unique foraging course to our Killarney Hotel and excited to learn more about foraging in Ireland.
About our Foraging Guide
Darach has been delivering formal foraging workshops since 2012 specialising in both land plants and seaweeds. He truly lives what he teaches, embracing the foraging lifestyle every day. He uses what he forages from parks, fields, and lands in Ireland for his home-cooked meals. he is constantly processing and preserving what he finds on the land around where he lives. Darach co-presented a 6-part television series on foraging in Ireland entitled Dul i bhFiáin. He has also appeared on other programs including Garraí Glas and more recently Faoi Bhláth on RTÉ 1 sharing his knowledge on plant uses. We are delighted to have Darach join us for this very special foraging hotel package and to learn more
Sunday June 12th
- Arrival and check in to Cahernane House hotel from 4pm, joining us for a welcome reception of tea, coffee, and delicious homemade scones.
- Meet and greet with Darach O Murchú our foraging host; an environmental educator specialising in wild food foraging with particular expertise in seaweed’s nutritional health and benefits.
- Enjoy a casual meal in the Cellar Bar or explore Killarney Town Centre at your leisure. (not included in package)
- Return to one of our comfortable, beautifully decorated bedrooms and indulge with a luxurious Voya Seaweed Bath in your room
June 13th Monday
- Breakfast in our Herbert Restaurant at your leisure from 8 am
- Start the day with a morning forage from 10am, under the expertise of Darach O Murchú. Darach will focus on the grounds of Cahernane House Hotel and the surrounding area.
- Join us at 12.30pm for a filling lunch of soup, sandwiches, tea & coffee in the Cellar Bar
- At 2.00pm, join us for a Seaweed Workshop which Looks at seaweed identification, practical foraging tips, how to prepare and use, nutritional & health benefits, how to forage safely & sustainably, and much more. During the workshop you will get hands-on experience in foraging, cooking, and eating the seaweed.
- You’ll be excited for a delicious Table d’hote dinner in our Herbert Restaurant from 7.30pm. Our chef uses homegrown greens and garnishes wherever possible.
June 14th Tuesday
- Breakfast at your leisure from 8am-10.30am in Herbert Restaurant
- Enjoy a stroll in Killarney National Park if you wish or simply relax a little longer in our Drawing Room or Atrium
- Checkout from Cahernane Hotel is at 12 midday
Important to note: Killarney National Park operates under a ‘Take only pictures and leave no trace’ policy. Over a million people visit Killarney National Park each year so for conservation reasons, the removal of rocks, plants, animals, mushrooms, and other materials from the National Park is not permitted.
This package is exclusively available on our website and takes place from 12-14th June only.
We look forward to welcoming you to Cahernane soon.